Baked Yam Recipe
Here is an easy baked yam recipe which can be made ahead of time, then popped in the oven to reheat while the meat is resting and gravy is being made.
Cooking yams can also be done on top of the stove, peeled, then cut into pieces and boiled in a little salted water.
But here is how to cook a yam by baking it, as I think it retains more flavor and no nutrients are lost in the process.
It is a very good vegetable side dish especially served along with that Thanksgiving Turkey or Ham.
This recipe will make 4-6 servings.
- 1 large yam (about 2 lbs.)
- 1-2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1-2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Scrub the yam and slice a small piece off both ends.
- Place the whole yam on a cookie sheet and bake about 1 hour until soft. (Pierce with fork to test.)
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh into a bowl.
- Mash well.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, salt and orange juice.
- Whisk all together well.
- Transfer to serving bowl or buttered baking dish to reheat later.
- Note:You can also add a little nutmeg, ginger or cinnamon for extra flavor when whisking all together.
Top of Baked Yam Recipe
Back to Easy Vegetable Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page