Beef Rollups Rouladen
Of all german meat recipes, beef rollups rouladen is a great beef flank steak recipe.
If you are looking for beef round steak recipes, or a good deer meat recipe, this is an excellent dish for slices of meat cut from the rump.
When we had deer meat I would always make rouladen from it because I do not care for the taste of a deer meat roast.
Nowadays I make beef rollups rouladen from either flank steak or round steak or thin slices of eye round roast, all work well for this easy beef recipe.
They are great served with either noodles and a green salad or mashed potatoes and red cabbage as side dishes.
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. beef or deer meat, sliced lengthwise into 4 portions
- Prepared mustard
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 onion, sliced into 4 slices
- 1 dill pickle, quartered
- seasoning salt
- 8 round toothpicks
- Lightly pound the meat slices on both sides between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.
- Slices should be 1/8"-1/4" thick and 5"-6" long.
- Spread a very thin layer of prepared mustard on meat slices.
- Sprinkle with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Lay a slice of bacon, doubled over to fit meat, across bottom of each piece of meat.
- Put an onion slice on top of the bacon, and 1/4 pickle.
- Roll up, jelly roll fashion, fasten with 2 toothpicks per roll.
- Heat the butter or margarine in roaster on medium.
- Add the meat rollups and brown well on all sides.
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups hot water.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, turn meat rolls over and cook 1 hour more, or until tender, replace liquid with hot water a little at a time if needed.
- With slotted spoon remove rolls to serving plate, keep warm.
- Add water to roasting pan to make about 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
- Bring to boil, scraping up bits on bottom of pan.
- Stir in 1-2 tsp. of cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp. water.
- Bring to boil while stirring until thickened.
- Adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Serve sauce with the meat rollups.
- Optional: Add 1/4 cup sour cream to finished sauce.
Top of Beef Rollups Rouladen
Back To Easy Beef Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page