Best Chicken Soup Recipe
This best chicken soup recipe has to be an all time favorite with most people.
If you can find a stewing hen, it really does give superior flavor to the soup, but a fryer can also be used with good results, or just chicken backs and necks.
Whether to help cure that nasty cold or just to enjoy with a good sandwich on the side, a best chicken soup recipe is always welcome.
To make a clear broth which can then be used in other recipes, remove the skin and meat, then drain the liquid through a colander, cool and remove the fat which will form on the top.
Or you could use the cut up chicken meat, after the skin and bones have been removed, for tasty chicken salad sandwiches made with homemade cooked salad dressing or mayonnaise, which you will find under the Salad Dressings heading on this site.
For the soup, cook noodles or rice separately, as by doing so the broth will stay clear and you have control over the amounts of rice or noodles you wish to add.
Here is my recipe version of this great soup, try it and enjoy.
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. chicken, whole or pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 6 peppercorns or 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 bayleaf
- 8-10 cups water
- fresh or dried parsley to garnish
- Rinse chicken well and place in large soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, carrot, salt and bayleaf.
- Add 8-10 cups of cold water.
- Bring to boil, skim off any foam, then simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- Strain the broth and return to soup pot.
- Adjust seasonings.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove all skin and bones.
- Cut meat into smaller pieces to your liking.
- Return meat to broth and add cooked noodles or rice.
- Heat through and serve with a little parsley on top of the soup.
Top of Best Chicken Soup Recipe
Back to Soups
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page