Best Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
This best oatmeal cookie recipe is the base recipe for many wonderful variations of easy to make cookies.
Chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipes can easily be made from this recipe.
I use it all the time to make other drop cookie recipes also like butterscotch chip cookies and different kind of nut cookies for a great assortment of crunchy cookies.
The recipe will make about 60 cookies.
- 1 cup shortening, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, well packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream shortening and sugars together.
- Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Add to creamed mixture with rolled oats.
- Stir all well.
- Using two teaspoons drop small mounds onto cookie sheets about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes @350F.
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies: Add 1 cup chocolate chips to mixture, incorporate well.
- Butterscotch Oatmeal cookies: Add 1 cup butterscotch chips to cookie mixture.
- Butterscotch/Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies: Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butterscotch chips.
- Walnut or Pecan Oatmeal cookies: Add 1 cup chopped nut pieces to mixture.
- Cowboy cookies: Add 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to basic mixture..
Top of Best Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
Back to Easy Baking Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page
To change the flavor of your baking, add one different spice. Use only a small amount. For instance:
dried for baking
star anise is even better than regular
for sweet dishes, puddings, sweet soups and sauces, baking
use whole, chopped or ground fine
soups, sauces, vegetables, dumplings, meatballs
do not boil
powdered for baking, canning fruit like pumpkin and pears
fresh in stir fries and rice dishes
whole or powdered for sauces, vegetables, meat and fish dishes, baking