Best Split Pea Soup Recipe
If you would like to cook some split pea soup, then you have found the best split pea soup recipe.
I make this recipe for split pea soup using yellow split peas and a ham bone which adds wonderful flavor, but green split peas can also be used. It is which ever you prefer. Leftover bits of ham can also be used for a great pot of either yellow or green split pea and ham soup.
This recipe makes about 8 - 10 cups of a very filling tasty soup, which is a meal in itself.
- 1 1/2 cups split peas, yellow or green
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium bayleaf
- 1/2 tsp. dried savory
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 ham bone or bits of ham
- 8-10 cups cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and rinse split peas well until water runs clear.
- Put ham bone or ham pieces into soup pot, add washed and rinsed peas.
- Add 6 cups cold water, bring to boil.
- Simmer about an hour, then add remaining ingredients.
- Cook one hour longer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham bone and adjust seasonings.
- Ready to serve and enjoy!
Top of Best Split Pea Soup Recipe
Back to Easy Soup Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page