Best Turkey Stuffing
This is the best turkey stuffing, with extra flavor from fried bacon and mushrooms added to a traditional turkey stuffing.
Making stuffing for turkey adds that little extra both to the flavor of the turkey meat and also the gravy.
Some people prefer eating stuffing more than eating the turkey meat, so make sure you have enough of this stuffing recipe for all!
If your turkey is heavier than 10 lbs., you will want to adjust the amounts of ingredients used to make this tasty turkey stuffing, and also the turkey cooking time will have to be adjusted.
My rule of thumb is 1 cup of bread cubes per pound of turkey. This recipe for my best turkey stuffing makes enough filling for a 10-12 lb. turkey.
Try this recipe, I am sure you won't be disappointed. It is the best turkey stuffing recipe I have made for many years and would like to pass on to you.
This recipe, if scaled down, can also be used to stuff a chicken for a lovely oven baked whole chicken.
- 10 lb. turkey, fresh or thawed from frozen
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cut fine
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 10 cups bread cubes from day old bread
- 2 tsp. poultry seasoning or sage
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Measure bread cubes into a large bowl.
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon bits until crisp.
- Remove bacon bits and add to bread cubes.
- Leave bacon fat in pan, add margarine and melt.
- Add onion and celery, saute on medium low heat for about 10 minutes until soft, but do not brown.
- Add mushrooms, saute another 5 minutes with onion and celery.
- Remove from heat, add salt, pepper and poultry seasoning or sage.
- Mix well.
- Add whole mixture to bread cubes and bacon bits, combine all well.
- Set aside until turkey has been prepared for filling.
Top of Best Turkey Stuffing
Back to Quick Easy Chicken Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page