Bread Butter Pickles
You might want to try this great recipe for Bread Butter Pickles that I have made for many years.
This Bread and Butter Pickle Recipe is fairly tangy and keeps really well.
Its made on the stove top, and you need to watch not to over cook the final mixture, so this bread and butter pickles recipe will stay crisp.
It is an easy pickle recipe to make with medium cucumbers.
They are great served as a condiment at any time.
- 15 medium cucumbers
- 9 medium onions
- 3/4 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups vinegar (5% acid)
- 3 cups water
- 3 tsp. celery seeds
- 3 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 1//4 cups white sugar
- 3/4 tsp. tumeric
- Wash and slice cucumbers without peeling.
- Peel and slice onions.
- Combine with cukes.
- Add salt and water.
- Let stand 2 hours.
- Drain well.
- In a large pot, heat vinegar, celery and mustard seeds, sugar and tumeric to boiling point.
- Add cukes and onions.
- Heat thoroughly while stirring all together.
- The cukes will turn color.
- *Do not overcook, or pickles will not be crisp.
- Pack into hot sterilized jars, clean off rims of jars, and seal.
Top of Bread Butter Pickles
Back to Canning Foods
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page