Cabbage Rolls Recipe
This Cabbage Rolls Recipe is easy to make and tastes so very good. Cabbage leaves are stuffed with a mixture of hamburger, rice, onion and egg, then baked in a great homemade tomato sauce.
As these cabbage rolls have a meat mixture stuffing, they are a quick complete meal by themselves which I like to serve with peeled, cooked potatoes.
Sometimes I will cook some smoked sausages or frozen perogies at the same time to expand the meal, as they all complement each other and taste great together.
To me this is a real comfort food meal and this cabbage rolls recipe might also become a welcome addition to your free and easy recipe collection.
Leftover cabbage rolls and the tomato sauce also freeze very well for future quick meals.
This recipe will yield about 8-10 servings.
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 lb. ground beef, or 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 ground pork
- 1/2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 28 oz. cans tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
Top of Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Steam cabbage until leaves are wilted OR freeze whole cabbage for a day, then unthaw in cold water.
- Combine ground meat, rice, onion, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Separate cabbage leaves.
- On outside of leaves, trim thick cabbage rib down to be even with rest of leaf.
- Turn leaves over to form pocket for filling.
- Place about a tablespoon full of meat mixture onto bottom part of each leaf, and roll up, tucking in the sides to form a little stuffed roll.
- Place seam side down into large greased roasting pan.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over stuffed cabbage rolls.
- Bake covered for 1 hour, uncover and bake 2 hours longer.
Back to Casserole Dishes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page