This Carrot casserole recipe is very easy to make, tasty and inexpensive, as carrots are always reasonably priced, and its also a very healthy dish as it has all the nutrients from the veggies in it.
I like cooking this casserole especially during the winter months and often serve it with a green salad on the side.
It is a very good "winter warmer upper" kind of meal which can also be cooked ahead and reheated as needed.
The recipe will serve 4 people.
- 1 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4" slices
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2" cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 lbs. any good smoked pork sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- In a 2 quart stove top casserole fry the bacon until crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon to add again later.
- Cook the onion until lightly brown in the bacon drippings.
- Add the sliced carrots, and saute a couple of minutes.
- Add water to barely cover the carrots.
- Put potato cubes on top.
- Now add the sliced smoked sausage on top of the potatoes.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 1/2 hour until vegetables are tender.
- Gently stir the casserole to combine potatoes with carrots and sausage.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the saved bacon bits on top.
Top of Carrot Casserole
Back to Casserole Dishes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page