Cooked Red Cabbage
I love to make some cooked red cabbage come fall when the red cabbages mature and a new crop of apples is on the market.
Then I double this German Red Cabbage recipe, and freeze some of the sweet sour red cabbage in smaller containers for later use.
At my house its a must to have a side dish of this recipe for red cabbage on the table along with roasted turkey.
Duck with red cabbage is very, very nice too, and I also will heat some up to go along with beef roast during the winter months.
So here is my free online recipe for how to cook red cabbage.
Try it and enjoy!
- 2 lb. head of red cabbage
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 sour apples
- 1/4 cup lard
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- 1 tbsp. water
- Remove the outer wilted leaves from cabbage.
- Wash cabbage under running water.
- Cut into 4 pieces, remove the core from each piece.
- Finely shred cabbage with a knife or food processor.
- In a large heavy saucepan with lid, melt the lard over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until starting to brown.
- Add the cleaned and finely shredded cabbage, stirring in and sauteeing for a couple of minutes until it wilts.
- Add washed, cored and chopped apple pieces. Stir in.
- Add bay leaf, cloves, salt, sugar, vinegar and water.
- Bring to boil and cover.
- Simmer on low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Mix cornstarch with water and stir in.
- Bring back to boil until thickened.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasonings.
- Depending on the tartness of the apples, you might like to add a little more vinegar when adjusting seasonings.
Top of Cooked Red Cabbage
Back to Easy Vegetable Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page