Steaming cauliflower is an excellent method of cooking cauliflower as in this way the cauliflower nutritional value is not lost.
Here is my way of how to cook cauliflower, and one of the cauliflower recipes I make a lot for a tasty cauliflower side dish topped with homemade sauce.
I love serving this steamed cauliflower dish with fried breaded pork cutlets, boiled potatoes and cucumber salad.
- 1 head cauliflower, leaves and stem removed.
- Wash well under cold running water.
- Place in cold salted water for about 30 minutes, to remove any worms or insects that could be hiding between the florets.
- 1-2 cups boiling water.
- Place steamer basket in a fairly large pot to hold the size of the cauliflower head, bring water to boil.
- Place cauliflower head into basket and cover pot with lid.
- Keep water at a simmer and steam cauliflower about 20 minutes, until fork tender but not mushy.
- Remove cauliflower to a dish and keep hot.
- Save the water for this sauce:
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup cauliflower water
- 1/2 cup light cream or milk
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Melt butter or margarine in small pot.
- Add flour, stirring until mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from heat source and add the water and milk while stirring constantly.
- Return to heat and bring to boil, stirring until thick.
- If too thick, add a little more milk.
- Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add nutmeg and salt to taste.
- Pour over cauliflower in bowl.
Top of Cooking Cauliflower
Back to Easy Vegetable Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page