Creamed Cabbage Recipe
As I cooked this creamed cabbage recipe yesterday as my vegetable side dish, thought I would add it to my easy vegetable recipes.
For some reason, cooking cabbage on a rainy day is somehow satisfying to me. I served it along with pan fried boneless pork loin chops (home sliced from the deep freezer) and boiled potatoes for a very satisfying meal. But a boiled cabbage recipe is also very good if served along with smoked sausages.
Here is my easy way to cook cabbage.
4 cups of finely sliced cabbage should make 2-3 servings.
- 4-5 cups finely sliced cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. sweet cream or half and half, optional
- Wash 1/2 head cabbage, cut in half lengthwise, remove core.
- Cut across each half and slice finely with a sharp knife OR use an electric slicer attachment on your food processor.
- In a medium pot melt butter or margarine over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook until transparent.
- Add sliced cabbage and stir until coated.
- Add a little water so cabbage will not burn.
- Add caraway seeds and salt, stir in.
- Cover pot with lid and simmer cabbage for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cornstarch and water to bind cabbage.
- Boil until thickened.
- Add 2 tbsp. cream, optional.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Ready to serve
Top of Creamed Cabbage Recipe
Back to Easy Vegetable Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page