Creamed Spinach Recipe
This creamed spinach recipe served with boiled potatoes and poached eggs makes a very satisfying, nutritious, and also tasty and inexpensive meal.
To serve 4 persons, you would need about 2 lbs. of fresh spinach or 1 10 oz. package frozen spinach.
When you are cooking spinach, it wilts down a lot because of its high moisture content.
For this cream spinach recipe, I use frozen spinach because it is already wilted.
- 1 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach
- 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup spinach juice
- 1 tbsp. flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
- Cook spinach as per pkg. directions.
- Drain and save the juice.
- In a medium pan, heat the butter or margarine over medium heat.
- Saute the chopped onions until golden.
- Stir in the flour and cook until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the liquid juice. (The mixture should be quite thick.)
- Then add in the spinach, return to heat and while stirring constantly, bring back to boiling point.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper and grated nutmeg.
- Ready to be served.
Top of Creamed Spinach Recipe
Back to Easy Vegetable Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page