Easy Sugar Cookies
Here is a very easy sugar cookies recipe you can use year round. It is one of the best basic sugar cookie recipes which I have made for many, many years.
This recipe is great for baking Christmas sugar cookies.
For some holiday cookie ideas, these can be decorated with sprinkles before baking, or they can be iced after baking.
Also by changing the flavoring used, or by adding say, ground almonds, you can transform this recipe into differently tasting cookies.
It truly is a great recipe for easy to make cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light.
- Add egg and flavorings.
- Mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients together and stir into mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Refrigerate dough in covered bowl for 2-3 hours.
- Divide dough in half and roll out on lightly floured board or counter to desired thickness.
- Cut into shapes with cookie cutter dipped in flour.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake @375 F for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Brush cookies with a little milk and sprinkle with decorations before baking, or ice after baking.
Top of Easy Sugar Cookies
Back to Easy Baking Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page
To change the flavor of your baking, add one different spice. Use only a small amount. For instance:
dried for baking
star anise is even better than regular
for sweet dishes, puddings, sweet soups and sauces, baking
use whole, chopped or ground fine
soups, sauces, vegetables, dumplings, meatballs
do not boil
powdered for baking, canning fruit like pumpkin and pears
fresh in stir fries and rice dishes
whole or powdered for sauces, vegetables, meat and fish dishes, baking