German Black Forest Cake
There are different recipes for a german black forest cake.
This German Black Forest cake is a traditional recipe for black forest cake, one of the best German chocolate cake recipes, which stems from the Black Forest Region of Germany, thus the name.
The best black forest cake description would be a chocolate lover's delight, being a beautiful crowning to any festive dinner.
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tsp. kirsch or cherry brandy
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 19 oz. can cherry pie filling
- shaved dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour 2 9 inch layer pans, line bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift first 3 ingredients together into a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, gradually adding brown sugar and continue beating for about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add almond extract and melted chocolate, stir in.
- Alternately blend in flour mixture and sour cream, 1/3 at a time at low speed.
- Stir in boiling water. Blend well.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 35-40 min. or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove to cake rack.
- Cool completely.
- Cut each cake layer in half horizontally, for 4 layers.
- Sprinkle each layer with about 1 tsp. of cherry brandy or kirsch.
- Whip cream until very stiff, adding sugar towards the end.
- Arrange bottom layer of cake on plate, spread with half of the cherry pie filling.
- Set next layer on top and spread with 1 cup whipped cream.
- Spread remaining pie filling on third layer.
- Top with fourth layer.
- Cover sides and top of cake with the remaining whipped cream.
- Decorate top with shaved chocolate and a few cherries.
Top of German Black Forest Cake
Back to Best Cake Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page