German Sauerkraut Recipe
This German Sauerkraut Recipe is easy to make and cook on the stove top.
Sauerkraut with pork makes for a lovely fall dinner and is also a great winter warmer upper and a very satisfying meal.
You can easily make this into spare ribs and sauerkraut, or sauerkraut and kielbasa by cooking the pork or sausage along with the sauerkraut which then will slightly alter the taste of the dish.
Also check the pork loin with sauerkraut recipe on the pork loin page for a slightly different recipe.
Quite delicious either way.
- 1 24 oz. can or jar of sauerkraut
- 3 slices side bacon, cut into pieces or 3 tbsp. lard
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 Juniper berries
- 2 tart apples, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 large raw potato
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seed (optional)
- Drain sauerkraut well, and pull apart.
- In a large saucepan with lid, fry the chopped bacon until crisp, or melt the lard.
- Remove bacon bits to be added again later.
- Add onion to melted fat and cook until transparent.
- Add sauerkraut, Juniper berries, apples and water, (caraway seeds, if using) combine.
- If adding spareribs or Kielbasa, lay on top of kraut in pot.
- Bring to boil and cover.
- Simmer for about 1 hour.
- Finely grate the raw potato, stir into the sauerkraut after removing the meat, and cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the Juniper berries and add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with the bacon bits.
Top of German Sauerkraut Recipe
Back to Easy Vegetable Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page