For something really refreshing and a little bit different, try this recipe for herring salad.
It is easy to make and great to serve as an appetizer or party food along with crackers or piled high on toasted rounds of bread.
Or it can be served as a main entree, along with hot boiled potatoes in their skins and crisp fried bacon on the side.
For this herring salad you will need some pickled herring fillet, pickled beets, a dill pickle, a fresh apple, onion, walnuts and a little mayo.
Make it a couple of hours ahead, cover and refrigerate, stir once or twice, giving it time for the flavors to blend.
This herring salad recipe makes about 2-2 1/2 cups.
- 1/2 cup pickled herring fillets, diced small
- 1/4 cup pickled beets, diced small
- 2 tbsp. onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium size dill pickle, diced small
- 1 medium apple, washed, cored and diced small
- 1/4 cup chopped walnut pieces
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill, optional
- 1/4 cup mayo
Top of Herring Salad
- Add all ingredients to a medium size bowl and combine well.
- Cover and put in fridge for a couple of hours, stirring once or twice.
- Ready to be served.
Back to Best Salad Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page