Homemade Turkey Soup
Delicious homemade turkey soup can be made by simmering the turkey frame with spices, celery, onion, etc., then straining and cooling it.
This then becomes the base for turkey soup recipes like turkey noodle or turkey vegetable soup.
This turkey soup recipe will make about 10 cups of broth using a 10 lb. turkey frame.
Here is my way of making homemade turkey soup.
- 1 turkey frame
- 10-12 cups water
- 1 large onion, cut in quarters, leave skin on
- 3 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
- 1-2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed, leave skin on
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pick over the turkey frame and remove as much meat bits as possible. Save to add later.
- Crack frame into smaller pieces into a large stock or soup pot.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Add all other ingredients, including onion and garlic skins.*This will give you a clear broth.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours.
- Let cool slightly, drain all through sieve into a large bowl.
- Refrigerate, then skim off any fat that has formed.
- Turkey Noodle Soup
- Measure about 6 cups of broth and bring to boil. Add 1 cup of broad or fine noodles and cook as per package directions. Add some cut up turkey pieces you had saved. Adjust taste. It will be delicious!
- Turkey Vegetable Soup
- Bring 4 cups of broth to boil.
- Add cut up celery, onion, tomato, and other vegetables to your liking.
- Simmer about 30 minutes, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, for a great tasting vegetable turkey soup.
Top of Homemade Turkey Soup
Back to Easy Soup Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page