Hot Cross Bun Recipe
This Hot Cross Bun recipe is enjoyed by many all year round. For those that like a heavier bun, this one is chock full of raisins and mildly spiced.
A nice change from lighter buns.
But traditionally, I bake this recipe for hot cross buns during the Easter season.
This recipe makes 18 delicious buns.
- 1 1/2 cups milk, heated
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. freshly grated lemon peel or 1/2 tsp. dry
- 3/4 cup raisins, washed, plumed, sprinkled with a little flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tbsp. water
- confectioner's sugar frosting
- Heat milk to fairly warm, add butter, sugar, salt and beaten eggs.
- Let cool to lukewarm.
- In the meantime, measure flour into a large bowl, add the instant yeast and stir well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the lukewarm wet mixture.
- Blend all well, then knead into an elastic dough on a lightly floured surface, kneading in the raisins when dough is nice and smooth.
- Place into a greased bowl and cover with cloth.
- Let rise in a warm place for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough, divide into 18 equal pieces, forming each into a ball.
- Place on well greased baking sheets.
- Combine the egg yolk and water, brush buns with mixture, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- With a very sharp knife carefully cut a cross in top of each bun.
- Bake @375F about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Frost while warm with confectioner's sugar frosting.
- Confectioner's Sugar Frosting: Combine 1 cup sifted icing sugar, 1/4 tsp. vanilla, and enough milk to make a stiff icing.
Top of Hot Cross Bun Recipe
Back to Easy Baking Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page