How to cook Mushrooms
There are many different ways of how to cook mushrooms. All will give you pleasing results.
The most common edible fresh mushrooms found in grocery stores are Button mushrooms, both white and brown, and also Portabella mushrooms. For more flavorful mushrooms try green grocers and asian markets which will also carry packaged King Oyster mushrooms and Enoki mushrooms with instructions on how to cook mushrooms described on the package.
Of course, you will also find all kinds of dried mushrooms in little packages, which when reconstituted add a lot of flavor to the dish you are making.
For instance, reconstituted Chanterelle Mushrooms in water added to beef goulash for the last hour of cooking make a wonderful goulash even tastier.
Cleaning mushrooms should be done gently with a damp cloth so as not to bruise them, then cut a thin slice off the bottom of the mushroom where it has dried out.
Now you are ready to slice and saute the mushrooms in a little butter or olive oil, stirring frequently until all liquid evaporates and the mushrooms begin to brown.
Serve this way on top of fried or bbq steak or on hamburgers. Yummmie!
Add any kind of fresh sliced or quartered mushrooms to your stir fry toward the end of cooking, or leave them whole if you prefer. Add them to soups and pasta dishes for extra flavor.
Enoki Mushrooms are sold packaged and should not be cooked, but can be added to soups and stir fries just to heat through. They impart a wonderful, slightly fruity delicate flavor. They are a very tasty and tender addition to a sandwich. Also said to be very, very healthy. Follow package directions for cutting and cleaning.
King Oyster mushrooms are one of my favorites for their hearty flavor and meaty texture. They are great for a vegetarian pasta dinner.
Here is my fried mushroom recipe with pasta using King Oyster Mushrooms:
- 2 large King Oyster mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. soya sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cooking onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 disk instant asian noodles
- Cut across bottom of mushrooms to separate, discard cut off part.
- Clean mushrooms with damp cloth.
- Slice mushrooms crosswise into 1/2 inch disks.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, hoisin sauce and soya sauce.
- Let sit 15-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan, add onion and garlic, cook until onion turns golden.
- Add sliced mushrooms and marinating liquid.
- Cook and stir until edges of mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add water and pasta disk.
- Cover with lid and cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and separate pasta to combine with mushrooms and onions.
- Ready to serve 1 -2 persons.
Top of How to cook Mushrooms
Back to Easy Vegetable Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page