Lentil Soup Recipes
Here you will find two very different lentil soup recipes. I like making both of these depending on the time of year.
The first recipe for lentil soup is a vegetarian lentil soup recipe, a spinach lentil soup. This is a very tasty, mildly spiced simple lentil soup and goes well with sandwiches.
The other easy lentil soup is a German lentil soup I like to make when the weather turns cooler.
This is a sausage lentil soup or ham lentil soup which ever you prefer, making a thick lentil soup with lots of other vegetables for a complete meal.
I love cooking this one come winter for a pot full of real comfort food.
Vegetarian Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder
- pinch coriander, pinch cumin, pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups dried green or brown lentils, washed and drained
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh spinach, well packed, or 1/2 12 oz. pkg. frozen
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- In large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, lentils and all spices.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer 50-60 minutes.
- Add spinach, bring back to boil, cook another 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Good served along with a sandwich.
German Lentil Soup
- 3 slices bacon, cut up
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 cup washed and drained lentils
- 6 cups water, and 6 tsp. chicken granules (optional), or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 large potato, diced into 1/4" pieces
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 lb. smoked sausage, cut up or 1/2 lb. cooked ham, diced
- In large soup pot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon bits to add back later.
- Saute onion, celery, carrots for about 5 minutes.
- Add 6 cups water, lentils and chicken granules, if using, or 6 cups chicken broth.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer about 40 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and sausage or ham.
- Return to boil and simmer another 15-20 minutes.
- Add bacon bits.
- Adjust taste with salt and pepper.
- * Maggi seasoning is also good, if not using chicken granules for extra flavor.
Top of Lentil Soup Recipes
Back to Easy Soup Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page