Navy Bean Soup Recipe
This Navy Bean Soup Recipe also called white bean soup is very tasty and a full course meal in itself. Sometimes I use ham, or bacon or a good smoked sausage sliced thinly, whatever is handy in my kitchen.
It is easy to make with any kind of smoked meat to have it full of flavor.
As this soup recipe can be made ahead of time also, then refrigerated and reheated in smaller portions as needed, it comes in handy especially for a family on the go.
This recipe will make 6-8 servings.
- 2 cups white navy beans, washed and soaked in 6 cups of water overnight.
- 6 slices smoked bacon or 1 lbs. smoked ham or sausage
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2" slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. summer savory
- Dice bacon and fry in soup pot until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Saute onion in bacon drippings until golden.
- Add carrots and celery,saute lightly, but do not brown.
- Add the drained beans with 6-8 cups fresh water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes and summer savory.
- Simmer about another 45 minutes, or until beans are soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and add the bacon bits.
- Serve and enjoy.
Top of Navy Bean Soup Recipe
Back to Soups
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page