Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
This poppy seed cake recipe is for a chiffon poppy seed cake.
It makes a very large poppy seed cake which has to be baked in a large tube or funnel pan.
I like to ice it with cream cheese frosting, and a friend of mine who bakes this cake also, ices it with peanut butter icing.
Either way, it is a wonderful, moist treat to eat.
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds, soaked in 1 cup cold water for 2 1/2 hours.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 7 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center, add oil, egg yolks, poppy seeds and water, 2 tsp. vanilla and baking soda.
- Beat until smooth.
- In a separate very large bowl, beat 7 egg whites until stiff, add 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar, keep beating until very stiff peaks form.
- Pour egg yolk mixture gradually over whipped egg whites, gently folding in with a spatula.
- Pour into a large ungreased tube pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes @325 F, then increase heat to 350 F for 10-15 minutes.
- When cake is done, immediately turn pan upside down placing tube part over a funnel.
- Let stand to cool approximately 2 hours.
Top of Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
Back To Best Cake Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page