Simple Sponge Cake Recipes
Easy and quick to prepare, simple sponge cake recipes are especially good served with fresh fruit like glazed peaches, green grapes, kiwi fruit or strawberries.
This basic sponge cake recipe is very similar to the homemade cake recipe listed for fresh strawberry cake, only on a larger scale baked in an angel food cake pan.
Sponge cake recipes are also great to serve along with the fruit salad from my salad page, or iced with a light frosting.
Give this easy recipe a try, I am sure you will like it.
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Have a large plain angel cake tube pan ready, DO NOT grease or flour.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, set aside.
- Place water and egg yolks in another large bowl, beat until foamy.
- Add sugar and flavorings, beat 1 minute longer.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt, beat.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into large tube pan and bake about 45 minutes or until toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and invert pan until cake is cooled, then remove from pan.
- Serve cake plain with fruit or ice with frosting.
Top of Simple Sponge Cake Recipes
Back to Best Cake Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page