Stewed cucumbers is an easy vegetable recipe to make using cucumbers, onion and tomato, for an unusual cucumber side dish.
If you can get a fairly large, ripe cucumber try this recipe, you will be pleasantly surprised.
I like cooking this tasty vegetable dish in the fall for something a little different.
It goes well with homemade hamburgers or baked sausages, and rice or potatoes, as it has its own creamy sauce.
- 1-1 1/2 lb. large ripe cucumber
- 1-2 ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill or parsley
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp. water
- Peel cucumber from top to stem.
- Taste to make sure its not bitter.
- Cut into 4 pieces, lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, remove seeds.
- Cut cucumber into 1/2" pieces.
- Peel 1 or 2 tomatoes and cut into pieces.
- Chop onion.
- In a medium size saucepan, fry cut up bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon bits with slotted spoon, set aside.
- Add cucumber pieces, tomato pieces and chopped onion to bacon fat and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixed with water.
- Bring to boil while stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add dill or parsley, bacon bits and salt to taste.
- Ready to serve and enjoy.
Top of Stewed Cucumbers
Back to Easy Vegetable Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page