Turkey with Stuffing
These turkey with stuffing instructions follow the recipe for the Best Turkey Stuffing, based on a 10 lb. turkey.
So here are the complete "how to handle" instructions to stuff and oven roast your turkey for a scrumptious turkey with stuffing dinner, and also how to make a very tasty turkey gravy.
If you have more stuffing than needed to fill the bird, you can always bake it in a separate dish along side the turkey for the last hour or so.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Have roasting pan with rack ready to go.
- Remove turkey from refrigerator to sink.
- Remove covering from turkey, then remove neck and giblets from body cavity. Set aside for another use.
- Rinse the turkey well, inside and out.
- Dry with clean towel or paper towels
- Sprinkle inside with 1 tsp. of salt.
- Loosely fill neck cavity with some of the stuffing, fold skin over and secure with a skewer or toothpicks.
- Turn turkey over and fill body cavity with rest of the stuffing.
- Tuck ends of legs under band of skin at bottom of opening.
- Sprinkle the back side of turkey with about 1/2 tsp. salt and place on rack in roasting pan with breast side up.
- Brush breast side and legs with melted butter or margarine.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Insert meat thermometer on inside of thigh, not touching bone, or into middle of dressing.
- Place on lowest rack in hot oven, covering loosely with foil.
- After 10 minutes, turn oven temperature to 325F.
- Roast for 2 hrs., then cut through band of skin holding the legs in place, so they will cook evenly.
- Remove foil for last 45 minutes of cooking time.
- Roast turkey until thermometer reads 185F on inside thigh and 165F in the stuffing.
- About 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
- Remove to large plate, cover well with foil and let rest for 15-30 miuntes.
Turkey Gravy Recipe
- Pour pan drippings into a medium pot, skim off as much fat as possible.
- Add 2-3 cups of water to drippings, bring to boil.
- Whisk in about 1/2 cup of cold water mixed with 1/3 cup flour.
- Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- Let cook for a few minutes until thickened.
- If you prefer the gravy thicker, add a little more water mixed with flour, or if you want it thinner, add a little more water.
- Taste gravy and adjust seasonings.
- Remove all dressing from turkey to a bowl.
- Carve turkey to your liking and serve with dressing and gravy on the side.
- Refrigerate all leftovers promptly.
Top of Turkey with Stuffing
Back to Quick Easy Chicken Recipes
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page