White Sauce Recipe
This white sauce recipe is very easy and quick to make. It is a basic sauce which then can be changed into a white cream sauce or cheese, mustard, or a herb or spice sauce.
By changing the liquid ingredient from water to milk or chicken broth, you can create a totally different sauce which works well with meatballs or other hamburger dishes and also many creamed vegetables.
You will use this recipe over and over again.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups of water or milk or half and half, or chicken broth
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine.
- Stir in flour, cook until bubbly but not brown.
- Slowly stir in the liquid and bring to boil.
- Stir constantly so no lumps form.
- Boil gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mustard Sauce:
To basic sauce, add 2 tbsp. prepared mustard, a little vinegar, a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper to taste.Mix well, heat through, do not boil.
- Cheese Sauce:
To basic sauce, add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese or cheese spread. Stir well until combined, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Milk Sauce with nutmeg:
Use milk instead of water to make the basic sauce, add freshly grated nutmeg after sauce is finished cooking.
**This is an excellent sauce to use over cooked cauliflower also.
- Mushroom Sauce:
To basic sauce add 4 oz. of fresh mushrooms, chopped and sauteed in a little butter, plus 1/2-1 tsp. chicken broth granules or beef broth granules (optional).
- Herb Sauce:
To basic sauce add 2 tbsp. finely chopped green onions, or dill or parsley or thyme. Let rest 10 minutes, do not boil.
Top of White Sauce Recipe
Back To Meatball Sauces
Cooks Recipe Central Home Page